Lifestyle

10 Premium Gins to try on World Gin Day #WorldGinDay

June 10th marks a very important day in my calendar – it is World Gin Day. To be honest, I did not know that this day existed until last year, but I promise you one thing – this could be my favourite ‘World Something’ Day ever.

Gin, as you may well know, is my spirit of choice. I am a #ginlover left, right and centre and at home, we even have our own gin cart – so I tell no lies!

world gin day gin and tonic bar cart west elm

Here are some of my favourite gins – of course not to be consumed all in the same day! Enjoy with moderation. I picked all options that have Amazon Prime delivery so you can enjoy them the very next day.

Hendricks Gin

I remember the first time I had a Hendricks, served with cucumber, and in a proper gin glass. It was 2004 and I was in Barcelona. Life was never the same again.

Get it now: £27.00 from Amazon

hendricks gin world gin day worldginday

Monkey 47

Hailing from Germany, it is one of the country’s best creations. I remember enjoying 3 or 4 of these beauties onboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express train.

Get it now: £35.00 from Amazon

monkey 47 gin world gin day worldginday

Bulldog Gin

Not so well known in the UK, it is one of the gins I always get from USA Duty Free (not sure why, but it is always there) and also Spain. It is fantastic.

Get it now: £15.00 from Amazon

bulldog gin world gin day worldginday

Whitley Neill Gin

One of my most recent discoveries (a story I could probably tell over a gin or three) – it is a fairly new small batch gin with African botanicals.

Get it now: £24.00 from Amazon

whitley neill world gin day worldginday

Gin Mare

One of Spain’s best gifts to the world, alongside jamon iberico de bellota and Finca Cortesin. I have mine with rosemary, and sometimes I go mad and even have it with basil (there is some logic to this madness).

Get it now: £31.60 from Amazon

gin mare gin world gin day worldginday

Citadelle Gin

The French are on to something with their gin. And this one may be one of my absolute favourites.

Get it now: £32 from Amazon

citadelle gin world gin day worldginday

Shortcross Gin

From Northern Ireland to the world – a beauty of a gin, which is best enjoyed with orange (for real).

Get it now: £41 from Amazon

shortcross gin northern ireland world gin day worldginday

Star of Bombay

Bombay’s first proper foray into premium gin – which does not disappoint. Although I am a fan of its Bombay Sapphire East (dark blue label), this is the one to try.

Get it now: £34.85 from Amazon

star of bombay gin world gin day worldginday

St. George Gin

God bless America, is all I can say. Gin and USA are not two words that usually go hand in hand, but this California distillery really is making waves. I first discovered it as an in-room amenity at Four Seasons Los Angeles and have been indulging ever since.

Get it now: £38.05 from Amazon

st george gin terroir green world gin day worldginday

Broker’s Gin

And a relatively newcomer to the O’Reilly gin cart – discovered in Seville (because Gin & Tonic tastes better in Spain, of course). It was voted ‘Best Gin in the World’ by someone who knows about this stuff – and it is excellent.

Get it now: £24 from Amazon

brokers gin world gin day worldginday

And don’t forget the tonic

As the clever people of Fever Tree say, if your gin is 3-quarters tonic, make it the best you can get. I am a great fan of Fever Tree (and there are other excellent tonic waters around). My favourite ones are the normal one (full fat) and the Mediterranean (turquoise blue) – they really are fantastic.

fever tree tonic water

I also love what Schweppes has been serving in Spain for years now – proper premium tonic with interesting flavours such as orange blossom & lavender, ginger & cardamom and pink pepper, for example. But for some reason, in the spiritual home of gin (i.e. the UK), they don’t have them. Maybe the brand managers could do with some more weekly calls.

schweppes premium tonic water

And the proper gin glass

I have lost count of the number of times I have brought gin glasses for myself and friends, and friends of friends from trips to Spain (obviously hand luggage with British Airways). But, at last, you don’t have to do this anymore. Schott Zwiesel now makes these beauties (at same standard of its other premium glass collections) and you can just order them online.

Get it now: £13.95 for 2 glasses from Amazon

schott zwiesel gin glasses world gin day worldginday

And with this, all that is left to do is to wish you a very happy World Gin Day. Or Gin Weekend. Or Gin Week. You get the idea!

Have you tried any of these gins? And what other brands have you found and would like to recommend? Let me know!

Article was posted on

1. Chris Barton

July 25, 2016 at 12:19 pm

When is the party at your house?

2. Nicole

July 15, 2016 at 5:45 am

When you come to Australia, or when a friend visits, be sure to ask them to pick up a bottle of Four Pillars Gin. It may be small Victorian brand but it’s very quickly gaining notoriety down here (and Qantas has collaborated with them!)
    I’m not a big gin drinker but I really enjoyed the Spiced Negroni 🙂

Nicole recently posted..Driving Southern Indiana’s ArtsRoad 46My Profile

3. Rodrigo

June 12, 2016 at 12:19 pm

You should realy try this Portuguese Gin – Sharish!

4. Sérgio

June 12, 2016 at 5:52 am

Hello Ana
    Please add to your cart a Gin from your beloved Portugal.
    His name is “Sharish” and it is produced in Alentejo.

Just for curiosity, the first “Red premium Gin” of the world is produced in Portugal, Valença do Minho to be more precise 😉

Enjoy 🙂

5. Kiera Reilly

June 11, 2016 at 1:21 am

Oh Ana, I have you to thank for expanding my knowledge and love of gin! Alas, I am running around packing today, and a proper gin and tonic would put me out of commission. Maybe late, late when all is ready I will have some of the Gin Mare you brought to me. I recently introduced my family to it (with the rosemary, they were very skeptical but became believers) and also the St. George’s. I had a new gin in Santorini of all places, along with a Greek tonic. Edinburgh Gin with Three Cents Tonic. It was lovely!

6. Kirsty

June 10, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Please try slingsby gin. Made in Harrogate Yorkshire and served with pink grapefruit and blueberries. Yum!

June 13, 2016 at 11:02 am

One to try!! I take my gin education very seriously 🙂

7. Brends

June 10, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I have tried and love so many from your trolly, so seek out and try Dingle Gin from Kerry in Ireland. A botanical delight 😊 Happy World Gin Day 😊😊

June 10, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Oh, I have tried it when I was in Ireland! it was very nice! And happy Gin Day!

8. Lucy Culpepper

June 10, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Mrs O, you have to try Cheltenham-based Sibling Gin, which I’ve just learnt about and tasted at Innovation Rocks the Cotswolds (@rockthecotswolds). It is delicious!

9. Claire Robinson

June 10, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Mrs O a woman after my own heart! Love your gin trolley (I have a gin tray so must try harder!) Have you tried Elemental Cornish Gin? Now stocked in Nathan Outlaw’s Fish Kitchen – small batch artisan made and excellent neat with pomegranate seeds!

June 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Ohhhhh I love the sound of that. One to add to the list!! And gin trolley was a very happy purchase. Brings me a lot of joy to be able to look at my babies 😉

• Claire Robinson

June 10, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I bet! And I noticed the Monkeys Shoulder lurking below which is also a late night weakness of mine… goes great with an episode of The Good Wife 🙂

10. MissLilly

June 10, 2016 at 12:10 pm

No Portuguese Gin on the list??? You have Snow Dog (similar to Bulldog), you also have NAO which is really unique! There’s also sharish which is really easy to drink. For international ones, I like BullDog, classic Hendrix, Monkey47, Love the seaweed gin and recently we were offered a bottle of Brooklyn gin which is so good! Btw, there is a gin festival tomorrow in Notting Hill but I believe the tickets are sold out and I can’t drink alcohol now 🙁

June 10, 2016 at 12:23 pm

I tried one or two (portuguese ones), and to be honest, I did not love them. Maybe I need more practising! Save yourself for when you can 🙂 and happy World Gin Day!