On my recent trip to the Maldives, I learned something truly fascinating: there are 12 ways to describe the word blue in the local language. And blue just happens to be my favourite colour.
I don’t know the actual words (and I did try to google them), but here is my interpretation of what I saw.
1. ‘I can see 12 shades of blue without trying too hard’ shade of blue. And if I take a deep breath, the world stands still.
2. ‘I will never leave my room because I have a pool and the sea’ shade of blue. On one of the days, we were so lazy we ordered in breakfast and lunch, and I am not ashamed to admit it (says she who never orders room service, ever).
3. ‘I am really tired from swimming, I will just rest for a couple of hours’ shade of blue. And I can just stare at the horizon. Or read a book.
4. ‘I will never go to a beach with other people’ shade of blue. And if I see someone else, I will wonder what they are doing there.
5. ‘It is quite refreshing to see other colours rather than blue’ shade of blue. If you leave your room for a walk around the island.
6. ‘I have just realised that my clothes are also blue’ shade of blue. Seriously, 80% of the clothes I took were indeed blue. I kid you not.
7. ‘I will only drink juice if the colour matches with the rest’ shade of blue. And I cannot tell you how lovely this freshly squeezed papaya juice was.
8. ‘This is my type of airport’ shade of blue. No need for lounges and business class (who am I kidding?)
9. ‘If I stay in the water all day, my legs will finally get darker’ shade of blue. Because I was almost transparent when I arrived to the Maldives. Seriously.
10. ‘When the sun sets, it is time for a gin and tonic with a view’ shade of blue. One of my favourite moments of the day.
11. ‘The clearest water in the world’ shade of blue.
12. ‘One can be really good at something’ shade of blue. I am almost an Olympic champion at ‘beaching’, I kid you not.
What is your favourite shade of blue?
Disclaimer: I was a guest of Lux Maldives, Constance Halaveli and Iru Fushi on my recent trip to the Maldives.